Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Winter is Upon Us

Many of you may know that winter hit the Albany and Corvallis area a little differently than normal this year and we have been battling the the roads all weekend.  A very good snow hit on Friday and while OSU did not close or delay opening they did then send everyone home early.  Well here is how my day went...

Against better judgement I thought I can handle this two inches of sticky snow just fine so I can drive my car to work like normal.  I knew it was going to get colder so maybe slicker for the ride home, but it wasn't snowing that much and was going to stop snowing by noon.  Wrong.  Everything was okay - slow - but okay until we hit Corvallis.  I slide my way to work but was determined just to get there where my car could be parked more safely in a parking lot rather than a roadside ditch.  I made it but was a bit tense and was not driving home.  It snowed and snowed and snowed and we did measure there was 8 inches on the MU railings at about 11am.  With no expectation for temperatures to rise and in fact for it to get colder, OSU closed.

When campus closed at noon I was now stuck - not driving remember.  Kris had his truck (4 wheel drive) at work with him of course, but he needed to be there and it wasn't exactly convenient to take me home.  That was okay, I just stayed and worked on my budget stuff that was due that day anyway.  In fact is was really nice, so quiet, no interruptions.  I got it done and to my boss then Kris and I made our slow way home.  Saturday at home with Conrad we tried to play in the super freezing temperatures and my car sat at OSU.

Saturday night we made our way to Newberg and got to see our new baby niece.  She arrived Saturday morning.  Madeline Kay.  She is very cute and tiny.  I hardly remember that age and stage. Conrad did seem really sweet with her so hopefully he will feel the same to his baby sister.  Of course he now is hearing more and more about his baby sister.  He is saying he has a baby in his belly, and the only name he will suggest is "baby sister."

Sunday we had had no more snow and my girl friends and I had plans already in place to head to Portland for Christmas shopping.  We had taken Monday off and were staying overnight having a girls night.  We kept hearing that north of Salem was just fine, so off we went.  It was fine.  We took our time shopping, finding more than we ever needed when we left and only had a few passing thoughts about the weather back home.  I actually found a rug at Ikea that was just perfect for the nursery and what I have been thinking color wise.  To top it off it was only $20.00 so in the cart it went, thanks friends for helping me pick that out, it looks great!



Much to our surprise OSU closed Monday.  We were scheduled to be off anyway, but now we didn't feel like we were missing so much.  It is not that there has been more weather, but since it is not warming up at all none if this is melting away and just getting more and more packed and more and more slick.  My girlfriends and I got home before any snow hit the north and OSU delayed opening until 9 this morning, but since my car is stuck on campus I still road in with Kris at 8 and got on it.  I think once again my car will spend the night as we just keep waiting for it to warm enough for the local roads to clear up a little more.

My belly has been popping out and baby has been busy.  I am putting off thinking too much about the room until after Christmas.  We got our lights up but no Christmas tree yet, hopefully we can get that this weekend otherwise it almost becomes a why bother.  My next doctors appointment is this Thursday.  I will be doing my glucose monitoring since I am now at 29 weeks.  we are getting closer.

Conrad is so adorable these days.  I didn't really get any pictures in the snow unfortunately but here is thanksgiving at my parents.

I am amazed regularly at the things he is saying, his cute mischievous faces and how he just seems to be so big now.

I will try to get a belly pic up and more of Conrad soon, you can see I haven't posted in a while, only just a little busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ketogenic "Keto"

Many of you know that Kris and I started eating by a ketogenic diet. A lot of people haven't heard of this way of eating and have been a...